Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Trying Again Tomorrow

So we were unable to get on the Air Force flight yesterday, so we have been camped out at our friend's house right outside the Air Force base. Abeni has really taken to Ari, but she has let me feed her and play a little with her. She has some of the cutest faces and sounds. She is very vocal about what she wants. Her Korean words for Mom, Dad, and big brother are very clear. She has learned Momma but I don't think she associates it with Ari just yet. However, I have found a way for her and I to bond. When Ari needs a little break like the restroom, or the extra couple hours of sleep because she was wrestling a greiving baby, I put Abeni in the baby carrier and ride the elevator to the 18th floor. Once on the 18th floor, we starting going down the stairs to the 5th floor, and do it over again. Today was a little different, I felt that she was getting a little tired, so I stopped on the stairs and rocked her in the stairwell in the dark. The lights are motion sensored, as soon as I was in range of the sensor they came back on. While in the stairwell and in the dark, I sang soft children songs to her and she would reach up and feel my face. We were in the stairwell for about 2 hours, she slept maybe 1 hour of it. She would still much rather be with Ari, which is understandable. For the first two months of her life she was back and forth from the hospital to children's home. Then from the end of the 2nd month of her life, she was very well taken care of by one of the best mothers in Korea. She also had a hard time falling in love with her foster father(learned from one of the videos we were sent from our agency). Well hopefully our next post will either be from Seattle after we have made tomorrow's flight. If not we will be running to Inchon and will be spending mega bucks on some flights to get us at least to the states. Oh also, I have been blessed with the unique opportunity to be able to give MY DAUGHTER a father's blessing. That was a blessing for her and for me. Keep us in your prayers and fingers crossed for tomorrow's flight.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Mike. You all have been in my thoughts all week. I will be praying for you all. I know the boys have to be so excited to meet their new sister. So happy for you all!! :)

    Beth Alsobrook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering where you guys are!

    Michael, Abeni is going to adore you. You're such a great guy. And I'm glad she's attaching to her mommy already. Your family is so perfect for her, for so many reasons.

    Our girl said "Momma" for the first couple of weeks in regards to food. It meant she wanted something to eat. It was confusing for me... I didn't know when she wanted me or wanted food. LOL. Finally one day, I KNEW she wanted me. I was so happy. It's been quite a while since she used "momma" to indicate food, but it took a few weeks. Her papers said that was one of her Korean words that meant she wanted something to eat. I don't know if that's common or not...? If so, I'm sure it's confusing for these little ones when we start calling ourselves "Momma". :)

    Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have everything crossed for you three to get on a flight SOON! Best of luck; thank you for your update. What a sweet story of you doing the elevator/stairs with your precious daughter! Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So hope you are on your way home soon to begin your life as a family of five.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really hoping your on your way home. Mom and I were talking today and it is a comfort you and your boys don't function well until your all back together. Really looking forward to everything being back to normal.

    ReplyDelete