Monday, November 8, 2010

We've got our girl.







Today has been one emotional amuzement park ride. Ari and I were up numerous times unable to contain our excitement. Ari finally urged me to wake up at 6:15am so we could ensure we were ready, even though we packed everything the night before. So we passed the time checking our email over and over again. Also to note that Ari and I handle our stress so differently. I like to eat while Ari paces the walkway. At about 9:40am after doing all we could to pass the time, I had Ari go into one of the kitchens at Eastern and watch me eat my stress away. I felt like it was fair since I passed the time earlier checking and double checking to make sure everything was packed and nothing was missing.
Well at about 9:50 we took all the bags we brought and aquired down to the lobby. We hadn't been given any instructions other than meet at 10am. We got down there and Mrs. Shin (our Abeni's Social worker) was just walking to the elevator. We met outside and I had a decent conversation pertaining to the conflict the US Embassy started when they realized they had not followed through with the paper work. Afterwords I went out side with the driver to take the luggage to the van our US adoption agency purchased.
When I returned Abeni and her foster mother had already arrived and were talking to Ari. Dr. Kim came in to say a prayer that is prayed when a child is taken from Eastern. It was a very sweet prayer requesting that God watch over this sweet child and protect her. She also prayed that one day she can return to Korea to learn about who she is and where she came from. Sadly for Ari, I understood it, but on the brighter side you could still feel a great spirit of strength and love that Eastern has placed in these children. I gave Dr. Kim a donation and while they were wrting a receipt, Abeni's foster mother called her husband so he could say good bye to us. In that conversation I could hear how choked up he was becoming about saying goodbye. I expressed to him that we were two families that had now become one through Abeni. He also let me know he would like to remain in contact and that he had written me a two page letter expressing his desire that I again teach Abeni about her culture and language. After our conversation, we moved to the front of Eastern where the van was waiting. Ari gave the foster mother a hug while she was handed Abeni. We jumped in the van and took off towards YongSan Army base to get on a bus to take us to Osan Air Force Base. Abeni actually didn't cry until about 2 minutes into the drive. It was extrememly painful to witness the love that Abeni's foster mother had for her as she willfully handed her to Ari. Abeni had remained quite calm on the way to Yongsan. She had a few moments where she screamed and called for her Oma.. We made it onto YongSan and onto the bus. Abeni only screamed when I looked at her or touched her. She went to sleep and I finally was able to get my chance to hold her. And the moment she focused on my face when she woke, she immediately screamed until Ari took her back. When we got to Osan, my friend Amber was there waiting for us to take us back to her apartment where we will squat until it is time to head to the plane. Since waiting, I have finally been able to hold Abeni a bit more, and she takes turns screaming and burying her head into my chest. But Ari is getting amazing hold time. She is such a sweet baby, she had such a good time bathing in the sink. She is finally asleep on a bed, and she is such a little angel.

10 comments:

  1. We are so glad that you finally have Abeni in your arms. What an emotional time this has been. We can't wait until you are finally home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love you and are so glad that you are on your way home with your beautiful baby. It wont take long until she knows how much you guys went through to get the chance to love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost can't find the words to express how happy I am for you and how much I feel for Abeni's foster family. It brings up all those emotions from our time in Korea.

    The foster families and the social workers and the agencies are all part of God's work to bring these children to their families. The Spirit is so strong when you are able to see His plan at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to read all of this this morning; you finally have your precious Abeni in your arms after all this time. I wish you all the best and best of luck on the flight(s) home. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO happy for you all! CONGRATS! Hope the rest of the trip home is filled with LESS tears.

    apromisedson
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful to see Abeni in both of your arms. Thinking of you and hope you have a safe trip home. Her smile is going to break hearts;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on never being away from your daughter ever again. No more wait....no more hold ups...just family time. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto what Karen said! It's so wonderful to know you no longer have to experience the heartache of the wait and can now just enjoy your precious girl being HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I am so grateful that Abeni will have a link to her heritage and that she will always know how much she was loved by so many. You guys are amazing. Much love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy that she is finally in your arms forever.

    ReplyDelete